Would you swim in a pond that had a sign posted by it that said “Water Moccasins May Be Present”?
Would you purposely eat “Frankenfood”? Frankenfood is a term invented by health activist groups to denote any food that has been genetically modified (GM) or that contains genetically modified organisms (GMO).
Would you eat “Bt corn” (a genetically modified food) when independent research reports and the American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM) call for a moratorium on “Bt corn”?
Several animal studies and anecdotal evidence indicate again and again serious health risks associated with “Bt corn” including weakened immune systems, insulin regulation, infertility, and an increase in stomach and gut troubles. There is more than a casual association between genetically modified foods and adverse health effects. There is causation.
What is “Bt corn”?
“Bt corn” is a genetically modified corn plant, produced by Monsanto, a multinational chemical and agricultural biotechnological company. “Bt corn” has been engineered to produce a built-in pesticide called Bt-toxin – produced from soil bacteria, Bacillus thuringiensis. When bugs bite the plant, poison splits open their stomach and kills them.
In other words,”Bt corn” is corn from corn seeds that have been genetically modified to contain a gene copied from the bacterium called Bacillus thuringiensis, or Bt.
Genetic engineering refers to the process of taking a gene or genes from one species and forcing it into the DNA of another species.
What are the dangers of “Bt corn”?
There is a wide range of evidence showing harm to human health linked to the consumption of “Bt corn.”
- “Bt corn” is designed by Monsanto to be a Roundup Ready crop. It is herbicide tolerant and therefore has high amounts of Roundup herbicides absorbed into the plant. Roundup is directly toxic, linked with cancer, birth defects, immune disruption, Parkinson’s and other diseases. Studies recently released show that laboratory animals fed Roundup in their water at drinking levels considered safe by the FDA, suffered massive tumors, premature death, and organ damage.
- Roundup also kills beneficial gut bacteria.
- There are peer-reviewed published research reports showing that Bt-toxin binds with intestinal tissue of laboratory animals.
- Bt-toxin is toxic to humans and mammals and triggers problems with the immune, intestinal, and reproductive systems; and, causes organ damage, accelerated aging, insulin, and cholesterol issues. Thousands of doctors now prescribed non-genetically modified organism diets to their patients.
- “Bt corn” has been found to create holes and leakage in human cells. Remember, as insects and insect larva, such as rootworms, eat the roots or the plant of the “Bt corn” the Bt toxin breaks open the stomach of the larva or insect and kills it.
- There is considerable fear the harmful bacteria in your intestinal flora may absorb the Bt gene. Bacteria use lateral transference of genetic material, making it a real possibility for this genetic material to become part of the human body’s gut bacteria that we depend upon for our health (our bodies contain ten times more bacteria cells than human ones by number). Your intestinal bacteria could become a living pesticide factory manufacturing the Bt toxin.
- Recent studies have found that “Bt corn” and Roundup cause cancer in laboratory animals and may also contribute to blood abnormalities from anemia to blood cancers such as leukemia.
Do you eat “Bt corn”? – Think again!
“Bt corn” accounts for more than 65% of all corn grown in the United States. Genetically engineered corn is present in the vast majority of all processed food and non-diet soda drinks in the form of High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS).
Bt-toxin has been discovered in the blood of pregnant women and their unborn fetuses. Last year, doctors at Sherbrooke University Hospital in Québec found Bt toxin in the blood of:
- 93% of pregnant women tested.
- 80% of umbilical-cord blood in their babies.
- 67% of non-pregnant women.
Besides being present in processed foods and non-diet soda drinks in the form of high fructose corn syrup (HFCS), studies suggest that the Bt toxin may also come from eating meat and animals fed “Bt corn” which includes most livestock and chickens raised in confined animal feeding operations.
How can you avoid Bt toxins?
You can avoid Bt toxins and Roundup herbicides by:
- Not eating processed foods and non-diet sodas and energy drinks that contain HFCS.
- Eat only free range grass-fed meat, not meat that has been fed genetically modified corn in feed-lots.
- Eat only free range chicken and eggs.
- Buy certified organic foods labeled 100 % USDA Organic.
- Learn to recognize other names for High Fructose Corn Syrup.
The following countries have banned or restricted the import, distribution, sale, utilization, field trials and commercial planting of Genetically Modified Organisms:
- Africa: Algeria, Egypt
- Asia: Sri Lanka, Thailand, China, Japan, Philipines
- Europe: The European Union, Norway, Austria, Germany, United Kingdom, Spain, Italy, Greece, France, Luxembourg, Portugal
- Latin America: Brazil, Paraguay
- Middle East: Saudi Arabia
NOTE: The U.S. government, and the FDA do not require anything Genetically Modified to be identified on ingredient lists. Genetically Modified foods and products are in widespread use and distribution throughout the U.S.
Takeaway – Double Whammy
- “Bt corn” – Bt toxin is produced inside the corn plant. Bt toxin can wreck havoc to human health causing immune dysfunction and cancer.
- Roundup – Herbicides are absorbed into the “Bt corn” plant. Toxic Roundup herbicide will accumulate in the corn kernels. Herbicides that are produced and absorbed in the plant cannot be washed away.